We have spoken in the past few days a lot about ASO, that is App Store Optimization, and how you should plan your app and your app download page to suit the app store so that your app can be found through organic searches. What we haven’t really discussed, and what we should have discussed, are the other ways in which your app can be found after you have decided to create an android app.
What are the ways in which apps are found?
1. Organic search comes in at number one with 58% of all downloads – This is why we have consistently explained to you the importance of ASO and why your app needs to be planned with ASO in mind. Read more about ASO on our blog
2. Word of Mouth – Following close behind the organic search with 41% of all downloads being downloaded after a friend or relative has recommended that the app be downloaded. This form of marketing has always been a marketers dream because word of mouth is the most loyal and trusted of all marketing.
3. Top Charts – 25% of people will download an app just because it appears on a list of top apps to download.
4. Factory installed – 23% of apps appear on a smartphone only because they were already installed when the user bought their device. These apps are then used because it is convenient.
5. Internet search – 16% of apps are downloaded after an internet search, many people will still look to our old friend Google before downloading an app
6. Social Networks – 15% of apps are downloaded after appearing on social networks, this is closely linked to word of mouth downloads and is the key marketing tool to look for when starting to consider your external app marketing plan
7. General internet – 13% of apps have been downloaded after being accidently discovered through the internet, this is slightly different to apps that were purposely searched for
8. Blogs – our trusted blog brings us 6% of downloads, this number will vary depending upon how well read your blog is
9. Traditional advertising – Finally, the least performing app discovery method is through traditional marketing such as placing ads in newspapers and magazines.
Now that you can see how people discover apps, it is important to plan app discovery techniques into your app when you create an Android app