With over 50 million users worldwide spread over 190 countries, Tinder is one of the most recognizable and accessible apps on the planet. Last year, Tinder’s revenue was just shy of 1.2$ billion. And estimators value the company in the region of $10 billion.
What is Tinder?
Launched in 2012, Tinder quickly became a frontrunner in the online dating app revolution. With its sleek design and celebrated ‘swipe’ feature, the app achieved near-instant success.
Geolocation is central to Tinder’s matchmaking efforts. Users are shown pictures of possible ‘matches’ in their immediate geographical area. If they like what they see, a swipe right indicates their interest – and one to the left equates to rejection. When two users mutually swipe right for each other, Tinder invites them to start a private conversation. Upwards of 55 billion matches have been made on the app in this simple way.
Tinder is part of Match Group Inc – a business group that dominates the global online dating market. Hinge, PlentyOfFish, and OkCupid are just a few of the brands that make up its impressive portfolio.
Match Group Inc’s revenue increased by 18.15% year-on-year in the third quarter of 2020. A sign that the online dating industry has responded effectively to the challenges presented by Covid-19. March 29th – early in the pandemic – was the most swiped day in Tinder’s 8-year history! The total: over 3 billion swipes.
How to make a dating app like Tinder?
Building a dating app to rival an industry giant like Tinder is no easy feat. There is a long to-do list. However, establishing Tinder’s key features is a good place to start:
- Search functionality filters. When using a dating app, it helps to search smart – after all, not everyone has the same taste! Tinder allows users to search for prospective matches based on different parameters: gender, age, and location.
- Customizable user-profile. How else are users supposed to stand out from the crowd? On Tinder, you can add a selection of photos and key information (like your educational history and current job). There is also the option to link your Spotify and/or Instagram account.
- Like. Users swipe right on a profile to ‘like’ it – and then comes the nervous wait to see if their gesture is returned!
- Super likes & boosts. Two features that statistically increase a user’s chances of finding a match. A super like indicates somebody is *really* fond of another user. By purchasing a boost, a user increases his/her visibility for the next 30 minutes – raising profile views by up to 1000%.
- Private chat. As aforementioned, after users have matched they are presented with the opportunity to begin chatting in private.
- Geolocation-based suggestions. Tinder tracks the location of its users via GPS signal. This allows it to suggest a stack of potential matches within geographical proximity. Passport – a premium feature – gives users the ability to temporarily alter their location and connect with people across the world.
- Swipe feature. The now infamous ‘swipe’ feature is at the heart of Tinder’s quick and efficient approach to online dating. But competitors have been quick to incorporate the ‘swipe’, with established apps like Bumble accused of copyright infringement.
App-building requires a broad spectrum of technical skills. You can also call a Spectrum phone number to get info about their Mobile apps. So, it is essential to hire a team of professionals who specialize in different areas of the app-building process. A standard app development team should include:
- Project Manager. Responsible for overseeing the app’s development from an idea to a commercially viable product. Always has an eye on the budget and ensures the team meets their short and long-term targets.
- Marketing Manager. In charge of successfully marketing the app to its target audience and raising brand awareness. A great app that is marketed poorly will not reach its revenue potential.
- Designer. The UI/UX designer is tasked with deciding how the app will ‘look and feel’. Tinder’s attractive and easy-to-use interface is one of the main reasons for its success.
- QA Engineer. The testing process is a crucial and often expensive dating app development cost. QA specialists design and run tests to detect bugs. They then feedback on any issues to the app development team.
- Android/IOS App Developer. The app developer will use his/her knowledge of programming languages to build a mobile-friendly app.
- Back-end Developer. Writes code specifically for the server. Helps to ensure user security and data storage (crucial for dating apps).
How much does it cost to make an app like Tinder?
As you can imagine, developing a dating app similar to Tinder is a costly venture. An initial investment in the region of $40-50,000 is to be expected. However, total expenditure can vary wildly in app-building projects. Given that hiring a development team will be your biggest outlay, it is important to consider all your options.
You could recruit a team of individual contractors from a freelance website like Fiverr or Toptal. This represents a great way to source skilled labor at a low cost. In fact, the Covid-19 pandemic has highlighted how efficient remote teams can be if the conditions are right.
Nonetheless, overseeing a global team presents issues – especially when it comes to co-ordination. Building healthy relationships within the team will also be a struggle. Virtual meetings are helpful, but they cannot replicate the morale-boosting effects of meeting in person. Then there’s the issue of contracts: most freelancers are not bound to a contract. So, if they are unhappy with their workload and wish to leave, they will.
Another option is to hire a professional development team. Each team member will possess years of experience in their chosen area of expertise. And they will be led by an equally knowledgeable project manager. Not only that, but the team will be keen to maintain their professional reputation by doing a great job. For the above reasons, there is a great (ROI), even though you will likely end up spending more upfront.
How to create an app like Tinder for free?
There is a way to build your own dating app prototype without learning to code or hiring an expensive development team. App builders offer prospective app creators the chance to test out their ideas. They often make use of fixed templates and drag-and-drop functionalities. As such, even the most inexperienced of tech-enthusiasts can design a working product.
Appsgeyer is a great example of a free app builder that simplifies the process. It allows users to convert existing dating websites into Android apps. Just follow the steps below:
- Open the Website App template on Appsgeyer.
- Copy and paste your website URL link into the search box.
- Press ‘save’. Appsgeyer will automatically import content from your site and then suggest a suitable template for your website.
- Add social media tabs (Facebook, Twitter, or Youtube).
- Give your app a name and choose/upload an icon.
- Select your features.
- Ensure that the app content is in your native language.
- Preview your app and test it out.
- Build an apk file.
- Publish your app on Google Play and let others enjoy it!
If you run a dating forum or group, you can also convert it into an app using Appsgeyer.
People across the world are increasingly turning to virtual dating because of Covid-19 restrictions. So, why not create an app like Tinder and cash in on the online dating hype?
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ’s)
Tinder is the world’s most popular dating app. It is location-based and free on both Android and IOS.
1. Search functionality features.
2. Customizable user-profile.
4. Super likes & boosts.
5. Private chat.
6. Geolocation-based suggestions.
7. Swipe feature.
You can build an app like Tinder using Appsgeyer. Make sure to select the Website App template. And then let your creative spirits run free!