The Android Market (Google Play) is open to everyone, so it’s likely that there’s another app a lot like yours. To make your app successful, it’s important to make your app stand out. The only way to do this is to learn exactly what the competition is doing and how the market is reacting to their actions.
- Search the Apps Market – who is on the front page for your area?
- Are the apps free? If not, what do they cost?
- Read the reviews! This is probably the most important part. See what features people are asking for and what pitfalls there are.
- What is the competition’s key messaging (the three main points that they focus on in their marketing.)
- How is the market responding? (You can check compete.com and alexa.com for website numbers.)
- What are the advantages to your app and are they being clearly communicated to your market?
When writing your app’s description:
- Explain your app’s unique selling point. What features does it have that aren’t available in the competition’s app?
- Explain how your app avoids the pitfalls that users complained about in the competition’s app – without mentioning or criticising your competition. For example, “The most information available in a weather app. Our app gives you…”
Show Android users that you’re offering them something they can’t get elsewhere and they’ll download.