I am sure you have heard a lot about the words ‘keywords’ and you are not quite sure what they mean and what their purpose is in an app. In this post I will take you through the steps of learning what a keyword is, how to create a suitable keyword for your app and how to avoid abusing keywords when planning your Android app.
What is a Keyword?
When we talk about keywords in apps we are talking about the words or phrases that tell search engines what an app is about. It is important to know that the search in apps does not focus on content, but on the app name only. By adding these keywords into your app many times you could find your app being banned from Google Play because they see this as keyword stuffing.
How do keywords help my app?
Keywords will help your app to be found in a search. Our research has shown us that app makers that have spent time on their keyword research get ten times more downloads than prior to doing their research.
How to I find the right key word?
1. Log on to Google adwords- click here
2. Type in some words related to your subject
3. Note down what words/phrases are used the most often
4. Try a few more times, each time note down your favourites
5. Now go back and check the competition level. You want to choose a keyword/phrase that has low competition
6. Trial and error – If you find the app does not succeed, try changing the name. On average we have found that apps that change their names up to 4 times see an increase of 7 times the amount of downloads.
Let me just explain why it is important to check the level of competition. If you have chosen a very popular word that is viewed over 20,000 times a month but has high competition rate, this means that a lot of people are already using this keyword in their websites/apps. When you type this keyword into your app search there will already be a lot of apps with this same name. You want to choose a keyword that has low competition. Low competition means there will be less apps using this keyword and more chance your app will appear in the first page of search results.
Has this help you in planning your Android app? Please let me know how we can help you further.