The content and function is absolutely the most important part of your app – the meat and potatoes, so to speak. Anyone can take random content, put it on a web page, and turn it into an app. The important part of app-making is making sure the content gives people value.
When you want to create an app, you need to really focus on the following questions:
- Is my content interesting or unique?
- If not, do I at least present it in an interesting or unique way?
- Or at least make it more accessible as an app?
- What do my users want?
- What do my users need?
- Which functions are users likely to use most often? (This is something you’ll want to ask users about if you already have an audience. If not, this is a great use for Google Analytics.)
- What is the best way for users to access the functions?
- Does my app give users all the functions that they need?
- Does my app have a direct competitor, and does that competitor offer better content and/or functionality?
- Would I want to use my app?
Number ten is the most important question of all. If you wouldn’t want to use the app, then you’re not making it correctly. Think about what you have to offer your users. The only way to make a popular app is to offer something useful, interesting, or fun to users. Make sure to delight your users, and then you’ll have a popular app, and be well on the way to earning money!