I can honestly say that my heart falls every time I hear an app maker tell me that their app is losing users day after day. So many people create Android apps and push the marketing for the first month and then move on to their next app and forget that their original app exists. If you do not nurture your app you will not be able to retain your app users, and this will have a follow-on effect on your entire brand.
So many people do an amazing job creating an Android app and working on their pre-distribution app marketing and then, boom, leave the app to die a painful death after all that hard work. Why?
The reason that this occurs is because people believe that once an app is up and running it will simply be strong enough to carry itself on. And while this may be true for huge app companies, it is not so truthful for the little people. In order to retain your app users you need to continue investing time and effort into your app.
I don’t want to freak you out – the time and effort that I am talking about is minimal compared to the time and effort it takes to get the app up and running initially. However you do need to ensure that you are covering the basics if you wish to retain your app users.
Below is a range of questions that you need to answer honestly and then decide whether, as an app user, you would or wouldn’t return to an app.
1. Is your content updated regularly enough to be interesting?
2. Does your app have interactive content?
3. Why would someone want to return to your app?
4. What added value does returning to your app have for the app user?
With so many apps in the app market, if you want to create an app for success, you really need to be honest with yourself, and understand the importance of building retention.
Tricks to build retention
There are many ways in which you can address retention:
1. Update your content – keep the content fresh. Things are changing all the time, and no one wants to read the same information all the time or play the same game over and over. Change the content, change the characters in your game. All the little changes can help incite your app users to return to your app.
2. Interact with your audience – remember that those using your app are real people. Get them hooked in by linking them to your social networks. The more connected with you the app audience is, the more likely it is that they will click onto the app to see the changes that you are announcing.
3. Send notifications – let the audience know you have updated the app. Certain changes will involve uploading a new APK. This will automatically send an update message to your users. Other updates will occur due to changes made on the URL that you are linking to. To notify your users of these updates you need to send them a push notification. AppsGeyser offers three free notifications a month to the first 100 app users of your app.
4. Offer incentives – give the users a reason to return. We all love deals, and feeling like we have got a bargain. You can add voucher codes to your app to entice the users to return to the app. Update these vouchers once a week, month, or as you see appropriate, and ensure the users know they have been updated.